In this article let’s take a look at whether animation is a good career option or not by looking at all the pros and cons of being an animator in detail.
You should read this article if you are confused or did not know whether you should choose animation as a career option or not because all the benefits and drawbacks
I mentioned in this article are backed by solid data and statistics so you can rely on the information I have provided in this article in making your career choice.
So, without further ADO let’s get started.
Table of Contents
Pros and cons of being an animator
Pros of being an animator
- Work flexibility-As a animator you can work anywhere, all you need is a computer, a software to create animations and internet connection and you can start your work which means you can save time moving to physical office and you can spend that time with your family and friends
- High salary-Animators enjoy high salary profession, according to bls the average salary of animator is around 77700 USD per annum which converts into 37 USD per hour.
- Creative work-Animation is very creativework, you will have to use your brain and have the ability to express your thoughts and ideas freely while creating animation and because of this the core work of animation cannot be replaced by artificial intelligence in future because it is a creative profession, and animation as a job can be both challenging and exciting because you will have to bring out the artist hidden deep inside your soul and it engages you to learn more and brain storm by visual content
- High demand-There is a high demand of animators and the BLS projected the job growth of animators to be 16% between 2020-2030, you can find over 6000 vacant jobs on com website and 3000 jobs on indeed, According to Precedence Research, the global animation market size is expected to hit around US$ 642.5 bn by 2030, growing at a CAGR of 5.2% from 2021 to 2030.
- Wide career options-after you get animation degree you can get Variety of career options like art director, graphic designer, web developer, game developer, app developer, desktop publisher, affects animator, key animator, image editor, multimedia artist, video editor, visual effects artist, motion picture and video industries, computer animation and illustrator, etc.
- Work in various sectors- animation is used in different sectors including television serials, videogames, movies, advertisements, websites, logos, because of that you can work in variety of sectors and different companies and you can easily switch between the companies with an animation degree
- Easy, fast & cheap to learn online-it is also very easy to learn animation you can get many courses online on Udemy and you can learn animation within a couple of years but you will have to spend more time in order to master it and learning animation is easier than ever before because the software is getting cheaper and there are more advanced computers which can handle the work like simple animations easier and you can use many AI tools to aid you.
- Work in teams- majority of the animators working on a project work in teams and groups and you will have to lead the team and group sometimes because of that you can improve skills like communication, networking, teamwork, leadership, time management and negotiation skills, etc while working on a project and because there will be different types of people in an animation studio you can build Network and connections with people such as script writer, director, character designer, storyboard artist, model makers, riggers, and lighters, etc. who can help you get more opportunities to advance in your career in future and you can also learn new things about your work from them.
- Become a freelancer-According to the BLS, 56% of multimedia artists and animators are self-employed, you can also become a freelance animator or web developer and graphic designer and because of that you can get to manage your own time and money and you are your own Boss, and because you are self-employed you can get many tax benefit from the government which normal employee working for any company would not get.
These are all the advantages of being an animator.
Cons of being an animator
- Work load-Most animators work around 40 hours per week but if the deadline gets near then the animators can have to work more than 40 hours and sometimes day & night in order to complete the project within the deadline which can be both physically and mentally tiring, because of this it can be both exciting and challenging career for you.
- Long hours in front of computer-As animator you will have to work long hours Infront of computer which lead to many problems like backpain, neck pain, eye strain, obesity and many other health problems.
- Work is repetitive& tiresome-Work of an animator is very tiresome and repetitive and it can be boring and stressful sometimes, it can take a couple of weeks to create a single minute of animated video and the work can be very repetitive because you will have to draw images and frames for every second.
These are all the important pros and cons of becoming an animator.
Is animator a good career?
After learning all the pros and cons in my opinion being an animator is definitely worth it if you really have passion towards creating art then you should definitely choose animation as your career option
And it is good especially because of reasons like it has a high salary, it is a creative work which has challenges and can be exciting and it is also a wide career and in high demand.
With that said let’s conclude the article.
These are all the important things you need to know about animation as a career option.
Do comment down what do you think about animation as a career option in the comment section below.
Share the article with your friends and subscribe to my blog to receive notifications regarding whenever I publish a new post in future.